- noun(military) signal to turn the lights out• Syn: ↑lights-out• Hypernyms: ↑bugle call
* * *I.plural of tappresent third singular of tapII. \\ˈtaps\ noun plural but usually singular in construction1. : the last bugle call at night blown as a signal that all unauthorized lights are to be put out
taps was sounded— compare tattoo2. : a similar call blown as part of the final honors at military funerals and sometimes at memorial services
* * */taps/, n. (used with a sing. or pl. v.) Mil.a signal by bugle or drum, sounded at night as an order to extinguish all lights, and sometimes performed as a postlude to a military funeral.
* * *taps «taps», noun (plural).a signal on a bugle or drum to put out lights at night. Taps are also sounded when a soldier or sailor is buried. »
The customary volleys were fired over the grave, and Bugler Fitzgerald sounded taps, the soldier's last sad farewell (Cambridge Tribune).Usage Taps is plural in construction but may be singular or plural in use.
* * */ˈtæps/ noun [plural]US military : a song played on a bugle at military funerals and at night as a signal for soldiers to go to bed
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
taps — U.S. military signal for lights out in soldiers quarters (played 15 minutes after tattoo), 1824, from TAP (Cf. tap) (v.), on the notion of drum taps (it originally was played on a drum, later on a bugle). As a soldier s last farewell, played over … Etymology dictionary
taps — ☆ taps [taps] n. [< TAP1, because orig. a drum signal] [with sing. or pl. v.] a bugle call to put out lights in retiring for the night, as in an army camp: also sounded at a military funeral … English World dictionary
taps — /taps/, n. (used with a sing. or pl. v.) Mil. a signal by bugle or drum, sounded at night as an order to extinguish all lights, and sometimes performed as a postlude to a military funeral. [1815 25, Amer.; prob. tap(too), var. of TATTOO1 + S3] *… … Universalium
TAPS — steht für: The Atlantic Paranormal Society Kernkraftwerk Tarapur in Indien (Abk. steht für Tarapur Atomic Power Station) Diese Seite ist eine Begriffsklärung zur Unterscheidung … Deutsch Wikipedia
taps — ● taps nom masculin Rideau de ton neutre servant soit de second rideau d avant scène, soit de fond pour une scène … Encyclopédie Universelle
Taps — Taps,der:⇨Tollpatsch … Das Wörterbuch der Synonyme
Taps — Taps(Tappes,Tapps)m 1.ungeschickterMensch;Mensch,derGegenständezuBodenfallenläßt.Tappen=plumpzugreifen;schwerfälliggehen.1700ff. 2.TapsinsMus=ungeschickterMensch.1700ff … Wörterbuch der deutschen Umgangssprache
Taps — Drame de Harold Beecker, d après le roman de Devery Freeman Father Sky, avec George C. Scott, Timothy Hutton, Ronny Cox. Pays: États Unis Date de sortie: 1981 Technique: couleurs Durée: 2 h 06 Résumé Une académie militaire… … Dictionnaire mondial des Films
Taps — ↑ Depp … Das Herkunftswörterbuch
Taps — This article is about the musical piece. For other uses, see Taps (disambiguation). Taps is a famous musical piece, played in the U.S. military during flag ceremonies and funerals, generally on bugle or trumpet. The tune is also sometimes known… … Wikipedia